Friday 16 October to Saturday 31 October - 6pm to 10pm daily
The Lightpool Festival ‘Town Centre Art’ is a free self-guided tour over 16 nights. Recognisable outdoor spaces will be transformed by spectacular artworks by local, national and international artists. All of the features in this year’s trail are outdoors, giving you peace of mind that social distancing guidelines can easily be followed.
- Stained Glass Window - Originally part of the Leaded Lights Road Section, designed by Graham Ogden in 2004.
- Brilliance - the light and sound show was the first of its kind in the UK. Based on a continuous ribbon spiralling in and out of the ground, its six metal arches criss-cross Birley Street with custom-designed luminaires. Brilliance has been re-programmed for 2020 by students from London’s Guildhall School of Music and Drama and accompanied by an audio extravaganza!
Tower Festival Headland
- Aqualux - A stunning eco-friendly light feature to highlight the importance of water. 48 empty water containers, which typically hold 1,000 litres of water each, will be on display on the Tower Festival Headland. On select days, an impressive Peterbilt truck will tour the streets of Blackpool with Aqualux on-board.
- Emotisphere - Lightpool Festival goes "interactive" as we blend the fabulous historic tradition of a Blackpool style seaside amusement fun machine with the latest RGB led technology using our immersive "Mood ball". Take part in this playful machine and find out if you’re a ‘hot’ lover or ‘cold’.
- Spiro – Take a walk on the light side! Spiro is an immersive walk-through sculptural tunnel of light spanning 26 metres in length. This family-friendly walk through tunnel is made of individually mapped LEDs that allow complex patterns to beautifully dance around the audience. This sonic experience is a perfect Instagram opportunity so don’t miss it!
- Portrait of Self – a deliberately and stylishly surreal statement that suggests the self-revelatory image of a self-portrait is not always as honest as it seems.
St John’s Square
- Living with our Star - a visual mapping experience as we turn the church into a spacecraft and begin an episodic tribute to the sun. The projection illustrates our relationship with the sun throughout human history and will feature the latest graphic effects, linked with factual content.
- Dr Who Tardis – a full-size Tardis replica as featured in the BBC series Dr Who.
The Blackpool Tower
- Tower Projections – Experience these impressive 3D projections from the Comedy Carpet as they light up the base of The Blackpool Tower. Get your camera ready!
- Tiffany Umbrellas - The Tiffany Delights road section, originally designed in 1999 by Graham Ogden, reimagined to illuminate 16 umbrellas.
Locations to be confirmed…
Art Is Your Human Right - Patrick Brill, aka Bob and Roberta Smith makes polemical artworks about the democratic importance of art and most recently campaigning for better art education.
Big Bird – this 3.5 metre high, 1 tonne pigeon sculpture is made out of the parts of 10 London taxis! It’s a unique feature not to be missed during Lightpool Festival.