Get on your bike and Ride The Lights! An exciting preview of Blackpool Illuminations is officially taking place on 30 August 2022
The Ride The Lights event is one of the most magical nights in Blackpool’s calendar when, for one night only, the six miles of Promenade will be closed to give thousands of cyclists an opportunity to get a sneak preview of the Illuminations before the official switch-on later that week. Ride at any point along the promenade from Starr Gate at South Shore to Red Bank Road in Bispham. You can ride as much or as little of the route as you are able.
Why not join in the creative fun by designing your very own Illuminations display on your bike? Decorate your ride with colourful lights, lamps and lanterns to show off your illuminations design ideas. Light your ride... then ride the lights!
Ride The Lights is not a bike race, it's a fun and FREE bike ride open to all. A great opportunity to get out and about on your bike with both family and friends.
In order to keep everyone safe, there are a few things to remember:
- All bikes must have a minimum of one white light at the front and one red light at the back.
- It is highly recommended that all participants should wear a cycle helmet.
- A responsible adult must accompany all children.
- Please be aware that the tramway will be operational throughout the ride, take special care in the area around North Pier/Metropole Hotel
- Marshalls and First Aiders will be on hand along the route.
- Bike Doctors and support vehicles will be on hand to look after breakdowns.
- The road will re-open to traffic at 10pm. Please try to plan your ride to reach your destination by this time, and be aware of traffic after this time.
Safety Note: Please be aware that tramway will be operational, so please ensure you stay a safe distance from the tramway.
Please note that there will be live filming and photography at this event. Any pictures provided maybe used by VisitBlackpool for promotional purposes. If you do not wish to be included, please contact VisitBlackpool Web Team
Park and Ride will be available on the night at the cost of just £2 per vehicle at Blackpool Airport.
Exit the motorway onto the A5230 to Lytham St Annes/South Shore/Pleasure Beach/Sandcastle Water Park.
Once on Progress Way, follow the signs to the airport and there will be additional signage to the Park and Ride on Squires Gate Lane. Turn in left to the airport at the Air Balloon pub. There will be stewards there to guide you to the parking area.
For more information on car parks in Blackpool, please head here: https://bit.ly/blackpoolcarparks