Let's Ride The Lights
It’s the most enchanting bike ride you will ever take – a chance to cycle on a traffic-free promenade beneath the world-famous Blackpool Illuminations.
This year, the free family event was even bigger and better than ever thanks to a new partnership with British Cycling and HSBC UK.
As part of the collaboration, the event has been re-christened HSBC UK Let’s Ride the Lights, and is part of a series of high-profile festivals of cycling in major cities and other locations across the country, all taking place throughout the summer.
Blackpool Promenade was closed to traffic and thousands of cyclists got a sneak preview of the Illuminations ahead of the official Switch-On.
With the addition of British Cycling this year, there was new and exciting entertainment for cyclists to watch and participate in on the Ride the Lights hub on the Blackpool Tower Festival Headland, which included:
- Live entertainment and music from the Ride the Lights and Radio Wave unit throughout the night.
- British Cycling Go Ride Zone – Bring the kids along so they can get a taste of British Cycling’s development programme for young people with their Go Ride Coaches. The programme provides a fun and safe way for young riders to enjoy the world of cycling and a platform to improve bike handling skills.
- MTB Stunt Show – The Extreme Mountain Bike Show is the UK & Europe’s number one Mountain Bike, Trials/BMX demonstration Team lead by the Multiple British and European Mountain Bike Trials Champion Danny Butler.
- Wattbike Challenge: Each participant rides 250 metres, the equivalent of one lap of the track on the Wattbikes. The time is recorded and entered onto the ‘leader board’ if you reach the top 10 in your category.
- British Cycling Pop-Up: The British Cycling team were on hand with lots of information on their various programmes such as Breeze, Ride Social, Go Ride and Guided Rides as well as grabbing your own cycling bib whilst stocks last.
- Ridgeback Kids and Shimano STEPS were with us, as well as CJ Cycles as our Bike Doctors with two stations on the headland as well as one at the Pleasure Beach.
Blackpool Pleasure Beach once again took part in the event, giving riders the opportunity to cycle through the park where they will be greeted by their resident DJ blasting out the tunes.
Please see our 2018 event gallery below!