Thousands enjoy Ride the Lights 2016
Thousands of cyclists descended on Blackpool Promenade for the resort’s annual Ride the Lights event on Tuesday (Aug 30).
The popular free event sees the seafront stretch fully closed to vehicles for one night only between 7pm and 10pm to allow cyclists to get a sneak preview of the Blackpool Illuminations ahead of the annual Switch-On on Friday.
Ride the Lights is attended by thousands of people every year and has become a firm favourite.
As well as enjoying the ride, families, visitors and local residents were also well entertained at the Ride the Lights hub located at the Tower Festival Headland opposite The Blackpool Tower hosted by Radio Wave.
This year for the first time ever, riders had the opportunity to detour through the Blackpool Pleasure Beach via North Gate. Riders were greeted by a live DJ set along with Nickelodeon and Blackpool Pleasure Beach characters.
Hundreds of children and families from all over the North West and beyond attended the event and many decorated their bikes with a lights theme with a myriad of colourful and exciting designs on display, including a stunning log flume-themed design and even a dodgem themed bike!
Meanwhile bike doctors were on hand from CJ Cycles and Get Cycling who assisted lots of cyclists on the night to help with their cycling needs.
The Radio Wave roadshow brought music and entertainment as well as live performances from
Chris Atkinson, Steph Ball, JSMV, Jamie Hutchinson.
Cllr Gillian Campbell, Deputy Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “Ride the Lights is a fantastic event that yet again proved incredibly popular.
“I went along with my family and it was fantastic to see so many people enjoying themselves and having fun.
“It’s the perfect event to get people in the mood for the Illuminations Switch-On on Friday and you can sense the excitement building.
“We’re also looking for the best photos from the evening so I would encourage everyone to share their pictures via our Twitter page using the hashtag #ridethelights”.
Ride the Lights is the latest in a series of events designed to light up Blackpool’s summer and autumn.
VisitBlackpool has already organised Blackpool Armed Forces Week and Blackpool Air Show and there’s still a lot to look forward to:
- Blackpool Illuminations Switch-On Weekend – 2-4 September – we mark the start of the resort’s annual Illuminations season with a weekend of spectacular music and performances from artists like The Vamps, Fleur East and Fatman Scoop. Working with Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST, the weekend will feature a free outdoor experience on the Tower Festival Headland throughout the Saturday and Sunday including character appearances and a host of family activities.
- Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST – 3 September – The Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST ticketed shows will take place on Saturday, September 3 in the Empress Ballroom at the Winter Gardens. Two identical shows will feature live performances, games, characters and plenty of slime!
- Blackpool Illuminations – 2 September – 6 November – Britain’s most spectacular light show returns to Blackpool Promenade for another year.
- LightPool – 2 September – 6 November – The £2m LightPool programme returns for a second successive year with brand new 3D projection shows on the Blackpool Tower building and a week-long festival of light taking place throughout the town centre during October half-term. In addition to this, there will be a contemporary neon exhibition at the Grundy Art Gallery running throughout the festival plus lots more activities planned.
- The World Fireworks Championships Blackpool – 9/16/23/30 September – Blackpool plays host to the best fireworks display teams in the world with the competitors planning more dramatic and spectacular displays than ever before to wow the crowds.