Heatwave may be over but the July fun is just beginning in Blackpool
With the premiere of CATS the musical kicking off an eight week summer season run at the Winter Gardens, a newly-built outdoor adventure high ropes course wowing families at Stanley Park and Blackpool Pleasure Beach showing off their brand-new Red Arrows Skyforce ride, there are a myriad of things to do.
Throw in new features at Madame Tussauds, our award winnings beaches and the amazing Blackpool zoo and the question becomes why wouldn’t you come and take a short break?!
And that’s without even mentioning the legendary, can’t-miss Blackpool Tower!
Here’s a rundown (in no particular order) of our Blackpool top ten things to do for July with the summer holidays just getting underway:
- Experience the magic of CATS. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s record-breaking musical returns to Blackpool direct following a sell-out season at the London Palladium. Jane McDonald plays the role of Grizabella during a strictly-limited eight week summer season run at the Blackpool Opera House. Opening on July 9, CATS is a magical musical like no other with an amazing score that includes the timeless “Memory”, spectacular set designs, stunning costumes and breath-taking choreography.
- See the coolest show in town. This year’s Hot Ice show, Desire, is the ultimate in stylish, fast-moving family entertainment. Staged within The Arena at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, it features a cast of world championship performers, wildly glamorous costumes and stunning special effects. Runs daily, Monday to Saturday, from July 2 to September.
- Tackle the High Ropes. Are you brave enough to tackle Blackpool’s newest attraction? High Ropes is situated within the magnificent Stanley Park and presents a host of challenges to those fearless enough to have a go. There is a zip wire, rock climbing wall, traversing swinging tyres, bridges, obstacles and the exhilarating “leap of faith”.
- Go on a musical journey. Blackpool’s wonderfully ornate Grand Theatre stages the song and dance extravaganza, Puttin’ On The Ritz. Starring Katya Virshilas and Jared Murillo from Strictly Come Dancing and a cast of West End performers, this show features a collection of timeless classics, making it the feel-good experience of the summer. Runs from July 27 to August 29.
- Catch a vintage tram. They’re back! Blackpool’s iconic heritage trams are back on track for 2015 by public demand. The traditional tram cars will be operating alongside the contemporary new Blackpool trams on weekends throughout the summer. It’s a trip down Memory Lane that you won’t want to miss!
- Share a selfie with Olly Murs. There’s only one place in the north of England where you are guaranteed a selfie with the stars – and that’s Blackpool’s Madame Tussauds. The newest addition to the wealth of celebrities is Olly Murs. And when all that showbiz gets too much, you can stop off for a drink in the newly-refurbished Rovers Return.
- Fly with the Red Arrows. Take to the skies in this unique white-knuckle experience at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. On Red Arrows Skyforce, you can step into your very own Red Arrows cockpit, take control of the plane and spin and glide in your very own aerial display. Check out the exclusive Red Arrows branded merchandise too.
- Enjoy the full-on Blackpool experience. There’s a reason why Blackpool is the UK’s most popular seaside destination. Not only do we have the biggest selection of branded attractions outside London, we have the means for you to enjoy these at a hugely affordable price. Check out the Blackpool Resort Pass in its new pocket-sized format and enjoy savings for all the family.
- Soak up the rays. A trip to Blackpool isn’t complete without a walk on the famous golden sands. For the second year running, all four of our beaches – South, Central, North and Bispham have been given Seaside Awards in the national scheme run by Keep Britain Tidy. And don’t worry too much if the tide is in – the magnificent new promenade is a wonderful place to wander. There have even been dolphin sightings off the coast this month – come along and spot Flipper and friends!
- Take a walk on the wild side. Whether you are looking for a hair-raising encounter with an orang-utan, tickling a tapir’s tummy, getting a close-up view of feeding time for the elephants and giraffes, or watching the comical antics of Elmo and his sea lion friends, then Blackpool Zoo is for you. New for 2015 in this award-winning wildlife haven is the Penguin Encounter.
As well as all that, we’ve got a packed events season throughout the rest of the summer with the Blackpool Air Show, the World Fireworks Championships and, of course, the biggest day on the Blackpool calendar when we switch on the world famous Blackpool Illuminations.
For more information on our events and for help and advice on how to book your perfect short-break in Blackpool, visit www.visitblackpool.com