- , Lytham, Lancashire, FY8 5QQ
- 01253 725610
DescriptionLowther Gardens is one of the Boroughs major parks and is situated adjacent to Lytham Green. Visitors and Residents are attracted to the gardens to enjoy its pleasures, as it is one of Fylde Borough Council's Premier locations. The site comprises of mature gardens and contains a range of passive and active leisure facilities for all age ranges. The Gardens are an example of horticultural excellence and are maintained to an incredibly high standard.
Lowther Gardens History
Lowther Gardens is the oldest park in Lytham St Anne’s. The gardens cover an area of 5.65 hectares and were provided by Squire J Talbot Clifton in 1872 in honour of his wife, Eleanor Cecily Clifton (of the Lowther family in Cumbria) and in memory of her father, who died in 1868. They were designed and laid out under the supervision of Mr Tomlinson who worked on the Clifton Estate, for the benefit of the inhabitants and visitors to Lytham, on what was previously poor grazing land known as Hungry Moor.
The Gardens were conveyed to the Council in 1905 and the Ordinance Survey Map of 1908 illustrates the layout. Most of the original design has been retained with the addition of the first pavilion in 1922, new entrances and car parking in 1936 and construction of the Aviary dating back to 1934. The pavilion was replaced in 1981. The Bowling Greens, Sports Pavilion, Tennis Courts, Play Area and Toilets have all been added, dates unknown. More recently, the bowling greens have been upgraded and an irrigation system installed. The rose bed between the rose garden and the pitch and putt was replaced with an herbaceous border in 1999, and the rose garden was re-planted in 2002 with 1100 roses, together with the addition of 15 new seats.
Lowther Gardens Facilities
Children’s play facilities
Crown green bowling
Hard surface Tennis Courts
Fri 1st January 2016 - Sat 31st December 2016
Sun 1st January 2017 - Sun 31st December 2017